Eneo Cameroon commits to gender promotion, invites young girls at G.T.H.S. Koumassi to join technical trades
Government Technical High School (G.T.H.S.) Koumassi is one of the establishments in Douala that train young girls in technical trades. Eneo chose to approach this Industrialisation Day from the angle of gender promotion by coming to meet young girls who have embraced technical trades, especially electricity. Eneo's objective behind this well thought approach is clear - to continue its internal transformation by improving the low representation of women in its technical professions, and more generally to reassure these young girls that they have made the right choice, a valid choice full of opportunities.
Every 20th November, the United Nations Industrialisation Day provides an opportunity to address issues related to sustainable industrial development and to evaluate strategies for achieving the goal of making Africans equal partners in this new world. In this context, Eneo has seized the opportunity to promote gender in the technical professions with the aim of raising awareness of the role women and girls can play in the industrial development of Cameroon and Africa. As the foundation of industrialisation, technical trades are at the heart of Eneo's operations.
Gender promotion at Eneo
- Since 2014, Eneo Cameroon has been in a transformational process that relies on several levers, including the promotion of gender which is one of the main ones. Gender promotion is a lever for the success of our company.
- In less than 10 years, the face of our company has been transformed with an increasing representation of women at all levels of the company.
- From 2017 to 2021, our efforts have resulted in an increase of almost 2% (from 24 to 26%) in the number of women in the company. A progress mainly due to the high percentage of women in commercial businesses (more than 50%). This increase can also be seen in the allocation of positions of high responsibility and at the decision-making level of the company.
- Today, our policy is ready to unleash the potential of women in and out of the company. This is a real commitment at Eneo Cameroon; both for careers within the company and for the empowerment of women in general to make them the actors of their own destiny.
- The focus of our programme is to highlight female talent, improve the skill gap for those who need it and support them through training, coaching and mentoring. An analysis of the situation of each woman through a pool of female skills and the diagnosis have helped us to adapt the response to the needs of each.
- The creation of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee will help us implement all these good resolutions and achieve the objectives set. A kind of positive discrimination with the virtuous objective of releasing the potential of women, promoting their development and empowerment within the company and beyond.
- While we celebrate our successes, we also note the efforts that still need to be made. In fact, Eneo Cameroon wishes to extend its commitment to impacting women beyond its borders. In concrete terms, this translates to:
- Encouraging young girls to take up technical professions in general and more specifically those in the electricity sector in Cameroon (only 7% of the workforce in technical professions at Eneo);
- Joining national and international initiatives, within the framework of partnerships.
Above all, Eneo Cameroon's objective is to promote and guarantee the development of all its human resources. Regardless of origin, religion, age, physical condition and especially gender.
About Eneo Cameroon
Considered one of the largest employers in Cameroon, Eneo Cameroon relies on its human capital which is its best asset to fulfil its missions. Since 2014, Eneo has recruited nearly 1,500 employees.
The company is committed to modernisation via the technological transformation of its businesses with, for example, smart meters (prepaid and post-paid), the online agency MyEasyLight, and mobile payments.
The company's ambition is to be a model digital and human employer. Thanks to this unique digital platform, its recruitment process becomes simpler, more secure and transparent. Working at Eneo means being part of a synergy of skills at the service of the public.
More information about the company can be found at www.eneocameroon.cm
Media Contact: Babette Sandjo | Babette.email@example.com | 691 836 060